Become a Stranding Volunteer
Information for Potential Volunteers
The LML Marine Mammal Stranding Network responds to dead marine mammals, sharks, and occasional sea turtles in Santa Cruz County. As volunteers, you would assist in responding to these strandings and collecting data on the carcasses. You will also be asked to assist with necropsies (dissections that help us determine how animals die).
We are looking for individuals who are:
- Looking for research experience.
- Motivated and passionate about the protection of Marine Mammals.
- In the Santa Cruz area and have access to a car.
- Able to commit to a year of volunteer work.
In turn you would learn:
- About local marine mammals.
- Data collection.
- Necropsy skills.
- And much more!